Teaching the Japanese American Experience: An Educator’s Tool Kit
Teaching the Japanese American Experience: An Educator’s Tool Kit was designed as a resource for classroom teachers interested in teaching the Japanese American experience to their classes in U.S. History, Civics, Social Studies, Language Arts, and/or Visual Arts. The Tool Kit, packaged in CD-ROM format, is meant to have a home in your school’s library and/or teacher resource room, so that it may be accessible to all educators in your school.
Included on the CD are approximately 30 lesson plans (K-12), an overview of Japanese American history, the Historical Formations from Dr. Gary Y. Okihiro's Curriculum Framework, an historic timeline, and additional teacher resources. The Tool Kit is free with only a $5.00 shipping/handling charge. (Limit one Tool Kit per school. Available on a first-come, first-served basis.)
This project was generously supported by The Boeing Company.
How to order a Tool Kit:
- 1) On your school’s letterhead, please send us the following:
- In one or two pages, describe why you are interested in teaching the Japanese American experience.
- Which grade level do you teach (elementary, middle, high school)?
- What subject(s) do you teach?
- How many students do you teach?
- What is the total number of students attending your school?
- Because we expect the Tool Kit to be school property, your letter must include your principal’s signature.
- 2) Send your letter, including a processing payment of $5.00 (checks only, payable to the Japanese American National Museum) to:
- Japanese American National Museum
Education Unit/Tool Kit Request
369 East First Street
Los Angeles, CA 90012
Please allow 3-4 weeks for shipping. For further questions, please contact email@example.com.