Special Events Past Events
Giant Robot Drawing Party
Bring your sketchpad and favorite drawing instruments for a special drawing party with live music by Goh Nakamura.
Giant Robot Biennale 4 curator Eric Nakamura will lead themed drawing exercises with live demonstrations and discussion by GRB4 featured artists Luke Chueh, Mari Inukai, and Yoskay Yamamoto, and other Giant Robot artists. Get inspiration from these exercises, or just hang out and work on your own projects in the company of others.
Beer will be available for purchase (cash only). This program is free, but RSVPs are recommended using the link below.
Please check back for updates.
Giant Robot Biennale 4 Opening Party
The public is invited to celebrate the opening of Giant Robot Biennale 4 with a party!
• First 500 guests will receive a limited edition Giant Robot pin. Limit one pin per person; guests must be present to receive a pin.
• Special souvenir buttons will be available for customizing with a design started by a Giant Robot artist and completed by you.
• Take a GRB4 commemorative photo on a special set designed by Nerdbot Photo Booth.
• Enjoy complimentary Japanese American foods catered by Mama Musubi.
• Drinks will be available at our no-host bar.
• Deejay music provided by Dublab.
• Remarks and artist introductions by JANM President and CEO Greg Kimura and exhibition curator Eric Nakamura at 8 p.m.
• Live set by electronic musician Daedalus at 8:15 p.m.
Don’t miss out on the fun!
7th Annual Kokoro Craft Boutique
Organized by JANM’s volunteers, the seventh edition of this annual boutique will feature dozens of vendors selling unique jewelry, kimono fabric fashions, handbags, ceramics, origami art, Giant Robot products, and more! Taiko performance by Yuujou Daiko at 1 p.m.
Proceeds benefit JANM’s education programs. Make a boutique purchase of $10 or more and receive free same-day museum admission plus 10% discount at participating Little Tokyo restaurants. For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Presented by Friends of the Museum.
JANM Summer Night Concerts
JANM’s new series of summer evening concerts featuring Asian American performers continues. Tonight’s showcase focuses on electronic music. The featured artist is Paul Dateh, a multi-talented musician, host, and educator who is well known for his contemporary take on violin playing.
JANM Summer Night Concerts
JANM presents a new series of summer evening concerts with Asian American performers. Tonight’s featured artists are musical collaborators Magnetic North and Taiyo Na, who have achieved enormous popularity in Japan with their politically conscious brand of hip hop.
Also appearing are Irish-Japanese American singer-songwriter Marié Digby, who vaulted to fame after her acoustic cover version of Rihanna’s “Umbrella” went viral on YouTube, and Los Angeles–based singer-songwriter Priska.
Event hosted by Will Pacarro (YELLOWPACO) with deejay music provided by TRAKTIVIST. Plus, special guest performance by DANakaDAN.
SAVE THE DATE: JANM Summer Night Concert featuring Paul Dateh, Mike Gao, and Go Yama on Thursday, August 30.
Sugar/Islands Catalog Signing
Artist Laura Kina and curator Krystal Hauseur, PhD, will be signing copies of the Sugar/Islands: Finding Okinawa in Hawai‘i exhibition catalog.