Beyond the Japanese Garden
Free Audio Cell Phone Tour
Available at no cost except the use of your cell minutes.
You control what you hear. Access special information and expert commentary about the exhibition from artists, historians, and gardeners.
Hang up and call back as often as you want before, during and after your visit.
Guide by Cell audio commentary provided by:
- Sojin Kim, Curator, Japanese American National Museum
- Hirokazu Kosaka, Art Director, Japanese American Cultural and Community
- Kendall Brown, Professor of Art History, California State University, Long
- Yosh Kuromiya, Retired Landscape Architect
- Naomi Hirahara, Author, Mas Arai Mystery Series
- Anna Tamura, Landscape Architect, National Park Service
- John Kabashima, Director of University of California Cooperative Extension,
- Lisa Sasaki, Associate Director of Education, Japanese American National
- Karin Higa, Senior Curator of Art, Japanese American National Museum
- Nobuko Miyamoto, Artistic Director and Founder, Great Leap
- Brian Yamasaki, Senior Gardener, City of Los Angeles Department of
Recreation and Parks
- Chris Aihara, Executive Director, Japanese American Cultural and Community
Available between June 17, 2007 and January 6, 2008. Instructions are available at the Museum, or download it here: Landscaping America: Beyond the Japanese Garden Audio Tour instruction card (PDF 342K)
Watch how our garden grows!
Enjoy a work in progress as the Pacific Coast Chapter of the California Landscape Contractors Association brings to life a vibrant garden on the Museum's second-floor terrace. Come back and visit the Museum often to view the progress as this 'living display' will be changing throughout the duration of the exhibition.
Japanese American Trivia Quiz: Japanese-Style Gardens in the United States
In conjunction with Landscaping America: Beyond the Japanese Garden, we invite you to take our quiz on Japanese-style gardens in the United States and the roles they play in Japanese American communities.
Don't know much about the topic? You'll learn all you need to know by reading the accompanying article, "Japanese American Gardeners: Their Stories and Their Landscapes" on the Museum Store Online.
Take the trivia quiz!
Congratulations to Jennifer M.
of New York, NY!
Jennifer is the winner of our trivia quiz prize package that included:
- a copy of the Beyond the Japanese Garden – Short Stories and Documentaries DVD signed by the cast and crew of Mamo's Weeds
- a copy of Green Makers: Japanese American Gardeners in Southern California by Naomi Hirahara