Deadline to apply: Jul 31, 2018, 5PM
To apply, follow the instructions on the job listings page.
POSITION SUMMARY:The Custodian is part of a team responsible for the overall custodial/janitorial functions, program/ rental set ups, and light maintenance requirements for the Japanese American National Museum site which includes a 1925 Historic Building, which has been designated as a historic site (33,000 sq. ft), a 1999 Museum Pavilion (138,000 sq. ft.), and a 2005 Tateuchi Democracy Forum/auditorium addition (10,000 sq. ft.). This position will require occasional early mornings; evening and weekend hours. Regular Schedule Tuesday thru Saturday. Typical schedule will be 10:00am-6:30pm weekdays and 11:00am-7:30pm on weekends with some flexibility in schedule.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- General custodial duties include but not limited to: dusting, cleaning, trash pick-up, sweeping, painting, polishing, scrubbing, vacuuming, washing, drying and other duties as needed. Ensure all public areas of the museum are clean and orderly (restrooms, lobby, courtyard, galleries and meeting spaces).
- Maintaining building interior, exterior and grounds. Including: carpets, lighting, walls, roof, floors, sidewalks, street, windows, plants, trees, shrubs, fountain and other duties as assigned.
- Assist in the functional preparation, arrangement, and reorganization of displays, furnishings and equipment of the National Museum as needed to support Programs, Rentals and Exhibitions activities.
- Transportation of displays, store merchandise and equipment from the museum to off-site storage facility.
- Staff members must be able to work with visitors of all ages to support the various events sponsored by the National Museum. Each staff member will be expected to work on a minimum of three museum-wide events per year: a) National Museum’s Annual Gala Dinner and Silent Auction- (off-site) typically held in the Spring (April-May) b) National Museum’s Family Festival Day- Oshogatsu Family Day (January) or Natsumatsuri Family Festival (August) c) JANM Free Family Days – Free Admission Family Days held quarterly on select Saturdays.
This list is not exhaustive and may be supplemented as necessary. Incumbent will perform related duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
Qualification Requirements: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education: High School Diploma; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Experience/Knowledge: At least six months of related custodial experience. Familiarity with custodial hand equipment, cleaning agents, hand tools small power tools, electrical cleaning equipment and their safe usage. Ability to operate hand, power and general cleaning equipment in a safe and careful manner. Good hand-eye coordination and balance. Ability to multi-task and prioritize. Ability to work well under pressure to meet deadlines. Willingness to learn and apply new skills. Display care and pride in work. Excellent organizational skills and be detail oriented. Ability to work in a team-environment, be a self-starter. Demonstrate commitment and flexibility at all times in order to ensure high quality service.
Communication: Awareness of surroundings and conscientious. Able to follow written and verbal directions. Excellent communication and negotiation skills. Must be able to provide courteous and effective service to co-workers, volunteers and the general public. Ability to read and comprehend documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, diagrams, room set ups, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence.
Computer: Not required but familiarity with Gmail, word and excel beneficial.
Math: Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as proportions, area, circumference, and volume.
Reasoning: Act on own initiative. Must be able to comply with institutional policies and procedures. Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Perform successfully when juggling and re-prioritizing multiple assignments in a fast-paced, changing work environment. Reliable follow-through on assigned projects in a complete, well conceived and timely manner.
Physical: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls. The employee frequently is required to talk or hear, stand, walk, reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to sit, climb or balance, and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, and the ability to adjust focus.
Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those the employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Facilities/Security Manager, VP of Operations, or Lead Custodian
Positions supervised: None
The Japanese American National Museum reserves the discretion to change this job description at any time.The Japanese American National Museum is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, religion, ancestry, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, disability, marital status, domestic partner status, or medical condition.