Store Associate PT -Holiday
Deadline to apply: Sep 15, 2017, 5PM
To apply, follow the instructions on the job listings page.
POSITION SUMMARY:Store Associate is a temporary position for the catalog/holiday season. Responsible for promoting sales, processing sales and orders, and providing customer service. Up to 24 hours per week. Sundays required. Must be available some Saturdays and evenings. Some flexibility in scheduling. Ideal candidate will be available to work October 3, 2017 – January 14, 2018.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Mail and Web Order sales: Take customer orders over the phone. Answer and return phone calls and e-mail inquiries. Prepare orders for processing. Update customer databases.
- On-Site sales: Promote sales, answer visitor questions, and process sales using point-of-sales system. Provide customer service and relay customer and vendor feedback to the Store Manager or Director of Retail Operations as appropriate. Assure that store merchandise is attractively displayed and well stocked. Assure that the store appearance is neat and orderly. Maintain store supply levels and alert Manager or Director when supplies are needed. Reconcile cash drawer at the end of the day.
- Assist in the Receipt of New Merchandise: Unpack, receive and prepare merchandise for display and sale in the Store.
- Promote memberships and other special Development sales: Inform visitors of the benefits of JANM Membership and the differences in the various levels of membership. Assist with the completion of Membership and Children’s Courtyard applications.
- Special Events: As requested, assist with sales at special events, such as member receptions, book signings, special Museum events, etc.
- Office Administration: Light office duties; making copies, filing, typing, data entry etc.
- Other duties and responsibilities: Interact with and motivate volunteers. Be familiar with current exhibitions and programs at the Museum.
This list is not exhaustive and may be supplemented as necessary. Incumbent will perform related duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
Qualification Requirements: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education: High School Diploma required.
Experience/Knowledge: Minimum 6 months retail or customer service experience preferred. Willingness to learn and apply new skills. Ability to multi-task and prioritize. Ability to work well under pressure to meet deadlines. Excellent organizational skills and be detail oriented. Professional phone manner is essential. Ability to work in a fast paced team-environment, be a self-starter. Demonstrate commitment and flexibility at all times in order to ensure high quality service. Knowledge of Japanese American history and culture a plus.
Communication: Excellent communication skills. Must be able to provide courteous and effective service to co-workers, volunteers and the general public. Ability to read and comprehend documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group format.
Computer: Computer literate, Internet savvy, and experience with MS Word and Excel preferred. Accuracy and speed are essential. Knowledge of Retail Star, Gmail and Altru preferred but training will be provided.
Math: Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
Reasoning: Act on own initiative. Must be able to comply with institutional policies and procedures. Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Perform successfully when juggling and re-prioritizing multiple assignments in a fast-paced, changing work environment. Reliable follow-through on assigned projects in a complete, well conceived and timely manner.
Physical: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls. The employee frequently is required to talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, sit, reach with hands and arms, climb or balance, and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 40 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, and the ability to adjust focus.
Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those the employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Store Manager or Director of Retail
Positions supervised: None
The Japanese American National Museum reserves the discretion to change this job description at any time.The Japanese American National Museum is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, religion, ancestry, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, disability, marital status, domestic partner status, or medical condition.