To apply, follow the instructions on the job listings page.
POSITION SUMMARY:The Accounting Assistant prepares the general ledger entries, process lobby, store and lockbox deposits.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- 1. Bank accounts: a) Prepare monthly entries b) Prepare reconciling ledger entries c) Prepare account, lockbox, processing and merchant fees for appropriateness and possible savings d) Monitor outstanding checks and resolve old outstanding checks as appropriate
- 2. Internal reporting: a) Assist Sr. Staff Accountant with preparation, review and distribution of monthly departmental and project reports to appropriate staff b) Prepare special reports as requested by staff
- 3. Prepare and make bank deposits
- 4. Reconcile general ledger records for pledges to Development department records each month
- 5. Maintain vendor master files
- 6. Processing Credit Cards
- 7. Assist with preparation of annual audit.
- 8. Accounts receivable: a) Re-establish a museum-wide system for invoicing and collecting b) Prepare entries for accounts receivable and post after obtaining approval c) Regularly monitor status of open receivables and work with line staff to assure collection
- 9. Maintain contracts files
- 10. Prepare payments to be made by wire transfer
- 11. Accumulate information for and prepare 1099s
- 12. Assure receipt and proper filing of W-9 forms from vendors, wherever applicable
- 13. Staff members must be able to work with visitors of all ages to support the various events sponsored by the National Museum. Each staff member will be expected to work on a minimum of three museum-wide events per year: a) National Museum’s Gala Dinner & Silent Auction - (off-site) typically held in the Spring (April-May) b) National Museum’s Family Festival Day- Oshogatsu Festival (January) c) National Museum’s Family Festival Day- Natsumatsuri Festival (August)
This list is not exhaustive and may be supplemented as necessary. Incumbent will perform related duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
Qualification Requirements: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education: Bachelors degree in Accounting or Finance; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Experience/Knowledge: At least 3 years of relevant experience working in Accounting, Book keeping, or Finance. Prior non-profit or museum experience desired. Willingness to learn and apply new skills. Ability to multi-task and prioritize. Ability to work well under pressure to meet deadlines. Excellent organizational skills and be detail oriented. Strong proofreading skills. Professional phone manner is essential. Ability to work in a team-environment, be a self-starter. Demonstrate commitment and flexibility at all times in order to ensure high quality service.
Communication: Excellent communication skills. Ability to read and comprehend documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group format.
Computer: Computer literate, Internet savvy, and experience with Excel and MS Word. Familiarity with accounting software, Gmail & Google suite beneficial.
Math: Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
Reasoning: Act on own initiative. Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Perform successfully when juggling and re-prioritizing multiple assignments in a fast-paced, changing work environment. Reliable follow-through on assigned projects in a complete, well conceived and timely manner.
Physical: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls. The employee frequently is required to talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, sit, reach with hands and arms, climb or balance, and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, and the ability to adjust focus.
Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those the employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Sr. Staff Accountant
Positions supervised: None
The Japanese American National Museum reserves the discretion to change this job description at any time.The Japanese American National Museum is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, religion, ancestry, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, disability, marital status, domestic partner status, or medical condition.