Chief Financial Officer
Deadline to apply: Oct 15, 2020, 5PM
To apply, follow the instructions on the job listings page.
POSITION SUMMARY:The Chief Financial Officer (CFO) has a strong commitment to the mission of the Japanese American National Museum (JANM). The CFO is responsible for all financial and accounting matters for JANM, including supervising employees performing financial tracking, reporting, accounting, billing, collections, and budgeting duties. The CFO develops internal control polices, and procedures for activities such as budget administration, cash management, and accounting. The CFO also prepares or directs the preparation of financial statements, business activity reports, financial position forecasts, annual budgets, and other reports required by the President and CEO and external regulatory agencies. As a member of the Executive Team, the CFO reports to the President and CEO and partners with the Executive Leadership Team and the Finance Committee of JANM's Board of Directors to direct business development strategies and to ensure that sound fiscal policies and proper infrastructure and systems are in place.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:Lead and manage the financial function:
- As part of the Executive team, provide sound decision-making in support of JANM’s strategies and mission, and ensures that financial systems, analysis and reporting effectively support the organization’s financial information needs.
- Responsible for managing the Finance Department’s day-to-day activities, such as: purchasing and accounts payable/receivable, cash management including cash flow forecasting, payroll functions and preparation of function and program cost reports and analysis.
- Ensure that effective internal controls are in place to ensure safeguarding and protection of JANM’s assets, compliance with GAAP and together with the Chief Operating Officer, ensuring compliance with applicable legislation and regulations.
- Ensure that finance processes are efficient and cost-effective, using digital systems to maximize efficiency.
- Ensure that all budget holders and managers have accurate, useful and timely financial information to enable them to manage their budgets and make informed decisions.
- Coordinate and manage all banking relationships and online banking activity.
- Manage cash flow including the preparation of annual and monthly cash flow projections and monthly bank reconciliations.
- Manage JANM's annual audit and timely submission of legally required filings and tax documents.
- Manage the budgeting and reporting for all restricted grants, both with the grantee and also in all statutory financial reporting.
- Ensure that all state and other statutory reporting is completed on a timely basis.
- Manage all insurance policies, including ensuring that JANM’s risks are appropriately and cost effectively covered by insurance where possible.
- Lead JANM's annual budgeting process, ensuring timely budget development in collaboration with Executive Team members.
- Provide leadership in the development and continuous evaluation of short and long-term financial objectives, including cost efficiencies and operating effectiveness.
- Provide actionable analysis for monitoring financial performance, trends, and forecasts.
- Develop and oversee long-term budgetary planning and cost management for the organization.
- Prepare monthly and quarterly financial statements including the monitoring of revenues and expenditures against the budget.
- Perform analysis and investigations as required to monitor on-going operations and analyze performance problems and opportunities.
- Work with management in analyzing and addressing positive and negative variances.
- Serve as a financial liaison to the Board of Directors, working with the Chair of the Finance Committee, the Chief Operating Officer and Vice President of Development to prepare presentations and ensure the Board is up to date and informed.
- Identify areas of financial risks and ensure that these risks are effectively managed.
- Partner with departmental, functional, and unit owners in the risk-management process.
- Provide guidance and supervision to the finance staff of the organization to ensure that the organization’s financial objectives are met.
- Staff members must be able to work with visitors of all ages to support the various events sponsored by the National Museum. Each staff member will be expected to work on a minimum of three museum-wide events per year: a) National Museum’s Gala Dinner & Silent Auction - (off-site) typically held in the Spring (April-May) b) National Museum’s Family Festival Day- Oshogatsu Festival (January) c) National Museum’s Family Festival Day- Natsumatsuri Festival (August)
This list is not exhaustive and may be supplemented as necessary. Incumbent will perform related duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
Qualification Requirements: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions outlined above.
Education: Bachelor’s degree in Finance or Accounting, CPA certification or an equivalent qualification is desirable.
Experience/Knowledge: 10 or more years of financial management experience at a nonprofit organization with financial management of fundraising campaigns desirable. Demonstrated success managing finance, accounting, budgeting, control and reporting functions. Strong analytical skills and experience translating a strategic plan into a financial model. Is able to engage others, modeling cooperation, collaboration, integrity, respect, and humility. Communicate a clear point of view with open-mindedness and flexibility, where appropriate. Embrace diversity, equity, inclusion and accessibility principles. Focus on results while working with attention to detail and with a sense of urgency. Lead by example and promote JANM’s strategic objectives. Hire talented people and facilitate staff development with goal setting, coaching, and constructive feedback. Manage effectively with prioritizing, planning, scheduling, and exercising good judgment in decision-making. Knowledge of Japanese American history and culture and familiarity with local community partners a plus.
Communication: Ability to effectively provide information to supervisors, co-workers, and subordinates, as well as Board members and affiliated organizations.
Computer: Extensive experience with accounting software.
Reasoning: Ability to act on own initiative, making consistently sound decisions.
Physical: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls. The employee frequently is required to talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, sit, reach with hands and arms, climb or balance, and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, and the ability to adjust focus.
Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those the employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
President and CEO
Positions supervised: Senior Staff Accountant, Grants Administrator & Accounts Payable Liaison, and Finance Consultants.
The Japanese American National Museum reserves the discretion to change this job description at any time.The Japanese American National Museum is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, religion, ancestry, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, disability, marital status, domestic partner status, or medical condition.