Store Associate, Part-Time
Deadline to apply: Sep 11, 2012
POSITION SUMMARY:Store Associate/Mail Order is a temporary position for the catalog/holiday season. Responsible for promoting sales and orders, processing sales and providing customer service. Up to 24 hours per week. Schedule would be Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday OR one weekend day. Some flexibility in scheduling. Ideal candidate will be available to work beginning September 2012 thru December 30, 2012.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- On-Site sales: promote sales, answer questions, ring up sales using point-of-sales system. Provide customer service and relay special customer and vendor issues to the Store Supervisor or Retail Director as appropriate. Assure that store merchandise is attractively displayed and well stocked. Assure that the store appearance is neat and orderly. This includes maintaining supplies and alerting Supervisor or Director when supplies are needed. Reconcile cash drawer at the end of the day.
- Mail and Web Order sales: Answer and return phone, mail, and web site orders. Pull, pack, and ship orders. Update customer databases when necessary.
- Assist in the Receipt of New Merchandise: Unpack, receive (compare invoices to purchase orders) and prepare merchandise for display and sale in the Store.
- Promote memberships, gift certificate sales and other special Development sales: Handle membership applications. For other upper level gifts, introduce customer to appropriate Development staff person.
- Special Events: As requested, assist with sales at special events, such as member receptions, book signings, special Museum events, etc.
- Office Administration: Light office duties; making copies, filing, typing, etc.
- Visitor Services Support: Occasional Visitor Services lunch coverage or support may be required.
- Other duties: Interact with and motivate volunteers. Be familiar with current exhibitions and programs at the Museum.
This list is not exhaustive and may be supplemented as necessary. Incumbent will perform related duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
Qualification Requirements: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education: Bachelors degree from an accredited college or university preferred; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Experience/Knowledge: At least six months of customer service experience in a retail environment. Previous experience working in a non-profit and collaborating with volunteers a plus. Telephone skills for taking customer catalog orders and answering inquiries. Professional phone manner is essential. Adept with handling cash and processing sales. Ability to handle and pack merchandise (some heavy lifting). Willingness to learn and apply new skills. Ability to multi-task and prioritize. Ability to work well under pressure to meet deadlines. Excellent organizational skills and be detail oriented. Strong proofreading skills. Ability to work in a fast paced team-environment, be a self-starter. Demonstrate commitment and flexibility at all times in order to ensure high quality service. Weekend and some evening hours required. Knowledge of Japanese American history and culture a plus; however, sensitivity to issues of diversity and ethnicity is essential.
Communication: Excellent communication and negotiation skills. Must be able to provide courteous and effective service to co-workers, volunteers and the general public. Ability to read and comprehend documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group format.
Computer: Computer literate, Internet savvy, and experience with MS Word, Excel preferred, speed and accuracy are essential. Knowledge of CAM data systems, VISTA and Raiser’s Edge beneficial.
Math: Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
Reasoning: Act on own initiative. Must be able to comply with institutional policies and procedures. Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Perform successfully when juggling and re-prioritizing multiple assignments in a fast-paced, changing work environment. Reliable follow-through on assigned projects in a complete, well conceived and timely manner.
Physical: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls. The employee frequently is required to talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, sit, reach with hands and arms, climb or balance, and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, and the ability to adjust focus.
Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those the employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Director of Retail & Visitor Services or Store Supervisor
Positions supervised: Volunteers
The Japanese American National Museum reserves the discretion to change this job description at any time.The Japanese American National Museum is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, religion, ancestry, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, disability, marital status, domestic partner status, or medical condition.