Guidelines for Artifact Donations and Collection Inquiries
The Japanese American National Museum maintains the integrity and accessibility of the world’s premier collection of Japanese American history and culture.
In order to improve our access services, strengthen our existing resources, and continue to grow our permanent collection in a responsible manner, the following guidelines have been instituted:
- Until January 1, 2010, the National Museum will not be accepting any unsolicited artifact donations or offers. This is a temporary moratorium. If you are interested in making an artifact donation, we invite you to contact us after that date.
- Please do not bring or mail any unsolicited donations or offers to the National Museum without being specifically instructed by staff to do so. Museum staff cannot accept any items brought in without prior approval. All such items will be immediately declined.
- The National Museum cannot provide authentication or appraisals of artwork or other items for monetary value.
- If you have questions regarding a pending donation offer, please refer to your receipt for contact information.
- If you have questions regarding a previous donation to the collection, please contact the Hirasaki National Resource Center at email@example.com or 213.830.5680. If you wish to view a donated item, please contact the Resource Center 4 to 6 weeks in advance.
Effective May 15, 2008