Volunteer Program Application Procedure
Welcome to the Japanese American National Museum's Volunteer program. We appreciate your contribution of time, skills and experience to the ongoing mission of the National Museum. To help you begin the application process, please be aware of the following:
- We require all Japanese American National Museum volunteers to be Museum members. Please make certain that your National Museum membership be current to assure your eligibility as a Museum volunteer.
- As you begin the application process, you will remain in the "Applicant" category until you have submitted a completed application form to the Volunteer Services Office, and have completed the required Museum Courses 101, 102, 103, 130, and 131. These sessions cover Museum foundations and policies, as well as provide a general overview of Japanese American immigration and history.
Museum Courses 101, 102, 103, 130, and 131 are offered at least once every three months.
Additional departmental training will be required as necessary. Please make it a priority to attend at your earliest possible convenience. Upcoming training dates can be determined by calling the Volunteer Services Office.
- Permanent laminated nametags and parking passes will be issued to you upon confirmation of National Museum membership and when museum courses 101, 102, 103, 130, and 131 have been completed.
- While in training, you will be classified as a volunteer program "Applicant". As an applicant, you may park in one of two lots: Advance Parking Systems and Joe's Parking which are in close proximity to the Museum. Your parking will be validated after the completion of your volunteer shift.
- Upon completion of the training process and after an orientation period of six weeks (20 hours of volunteer service), you will be upgraded to full-time volunteer status.
- Upon completion of the training and orientation period, you will qualify for Museum Store discounts. This discount will be in effect as long as you maintain your standing as an "Active volunteer."
- An "Active Volunteer" is classified as one who maintains an commitment of six (6) hours per month. The "Active Volunteer" status will be reviewed by the Volunteer Services office every six months. Further information about "Active Volunteer" standing may be found in the Active Volunteer Policy.
- Those volunteering in the Docent Program are asked to maintain a commitment of eight (8) hours per month.
- Your involvement and placement as a Museum volunteer remains the prerogative of the Volunteer Services Department. Position availability is not guaranteed but dependent upon Museum department needs.
It is hoped that you will be able to quickly join the ranks of active National Museum volunteers through the completion of the Training Program and your placement in a worthwhile and suitable work environment.
- Specific questions regarding the application process may be directed to:
Volunteer Services Department
Japanese American National Museum
369 East First Street
Los Angeles, CA 90012
Phone: (213) 830-5645