Marketing and Communications
The Communications Assistant is responsible for supporting the Marketing and Communications department, particularly with coordinating production and printing/placement of various printed materials and ads; and assisting with PR/media, marketing partnerships, and posting JANM events and exhibitions to external sites. This is a full-time position with set weekly hours, but hours are flexible.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Coordinate production of JANM’s printed materials, including rack cards, signage, flyers, banners, posters, brochures, etc. for general collateral, Development, exhibitions, public programs, NCPD, education, etc. This includes all aspects of working with staff from Marketing and other departments, as well as external partners to gather and edit content, design, send for review, printing, and payments.
- Coordinate production of both print and digital ads, including placing ad orders, working with staff on content and design, researching new/specific ad opportunities, and payments.
- Provide support for PR/media with monitoring media relations emails, sending out press releases, responding to general inquiries, assisting with media on-site, and researching media to contact for specific exhibitions/events.
- Assist the Director of Marketing and Communications with marketing partnerships once they have been confirmed; researching possible marketing partnerships/collaborations to promote JANM projects/initiatives.
- Post/submit JANM events and exhibitions to various other sites/publications.
- Work with marketing and other departments to organize and identify historical and contemporary images for use in printed materials, ads, and other marketing use.
- Maintain JANM’s marketing archives.
- On occasion provides a 30-minute lunch break coverage for Visitor Services Associates. Training on Altru register will be provided. Clear credit and criminal background check required.
- Staff members must be able to work with visitors of all ages to support the various events sponsored by JANM. Each staff member will be expected to work on a minimum of three museum-wide events per year:
- JANM’s Gala and Online Auction—(off-site) typically held in the Spring (April-May)
- Oshogatsu Family Festival (January)
- Natsumatsuri Family Festival (August)
This list is not exhaustive and may be supplemented as necessary. Incumbent will perform related duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions outlined above.
Bachelor’s degree in Marketing, Communications, or Public Relations preferred; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
At least one year of experience coordinating production of printed materials, ads, and working with PR/media. Willingness to learn and apply new skills. Ability to multi-task and prioritize. Ability to work well under pressure to meet deadlines. Excellent organizational skills and be detail oriented. Strong writing and proofreading skills. Ability to work in a fast-paced team-environment, be a self-starter. Demonstrated commitment and flexibility in order to ensure a high level of quality service. Ability to adjust and provide appropriate action when unanticipated need arises. Knowledge of Japanese American history and culture a plus.
Has excellent communication skills. Experience in writing or editing copy for publication. Must be able to provide courteous and effective service to co-workers and volunteers. Ability to represent the Museum externally to the public and internally to staff and volunteers. Is able to read, write, and comprehend routine reports and correspondence, including safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedural manuals. Is able to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group format.
Demonstrated proficiency with word processing, spreadsheet, and Internet and web tools; Google Suite, MS Office, Google Calendar, Gmail, Altru and Slack preferred. Proficiency with Adobe Photoshop or other image editing software; familiarity with electronic image formats such as .jpg, .png, and .tiff and with image size/resolution requirements for print and web. Experience with Adobe Illustrator and InDesign a plus. Accuracy and attention to detail are essential.
Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
Ability to act on own initiative, making consistently sound decisions. Must be able to comply with institutional policies and procedures. Perform successfully when juggling and re-prioritizing multiple assignments in a fast-paced, changing work environment. Is able to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Reliable follow-through on assigned projects in a complete, well conceived and timely manner.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls. The employee frequently is required to talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, sit, reach with hands and arms, climb or balance, and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those the employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Employees working on site are required to be fully vaccinated and boosted for COVID-19 when eligible.
The Communications Assistant is a regular, full-time position. Please note, however, that this is an at-will position, meaning that your employment may be terminated at any time, with or without notice, and with or without cause. There is, in other words, no guarantee that you be employed until any date in the future.
Reports To: Director of Marketing and Communications
Positions Supervised: None