This position supports the Development office by preparing, researching, and documenting gifts as they are received and prepares these gifts for entry into Altru and processing into acknowledgments for mailing. Development Assistant will also assist with special events, including the annual Gala and Auction and provide event support to development team members. The Development Assistant also responds to donor inquiries via phone, email or in-person and directs these inquiries to the appropriate staff person. This is a full-time position, temporarily funded for two years.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Prepare gifts for data entry by batch for all gifts including, but not limited to direct mail appeal, general donations, tribute gifts, special events contributions, and matching gifts.
- Assist with preparation and mailing of tax receipts, acknowledgement letters, and respective benefits to donors. Organize list of major gifts for stewardship.
- Assist with annual Gala and Auction. Mail solicitation letters and other materials. Make sure all donations of auction items are being tracked, documented, and uploaded onto the online platform. Follow up with sponsors for guest information and marketing materials.
- Assist with special events and development activities such as coordinating event schedules, invitation lists, and follow ups as directed by Development Services Manager and/or Philanthropy Officer.
- Check department email and voicemail box and forward to appropriate staff for follow up.
- Provide general administrative support for Development office as needed, including support for events on and off-site.
- Assist with database maintenance and updating of constituent information.
- Work with volunteers to coordinate stuffing and mailing of materials when needed.
- Staff members must be able to work with visitors of all ages to support the various events sponsored by the Museum. Each staff member will be expected to work on a minimum of three museum-wide events per year:
- JANM’s Gala Dinner and Auction—(off-site) typically held in the Spring (April-May)
- JANM’s Family Festival Day—Oshogatsu Festival (January)
- JANM’s Family Festival Day—Natsumatsuri Festival (August)
This list is not exhaustive and may be supplemented as necessary. Incumbent will perform related duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions outlined above.
Bachelor’s degree or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
At least one year of data entry experience. Willingness to learn and apply new skills. Ability to multi-task and prioritize. Ability to work well under pressure to meet deadlines. Excellent organizational skills and be detail oriented. Strong proofreading skills. Professional phone manner is essential. Ability to work in a fast paced team-environment, be a self-starter. Demonstrated commitment and flexibility in order to ensure a high level of quality service. Ability to adjust and provide appropriate action when unanticipated need arises. Knowledge of Japanese American history and culture a plus.
Has excellent communication and negotiation skills. Must be able to provide courteous and effective service to co-workers, volunteers, and the general public. Is able to read, write, and comprehend routine reports and correspondence, including safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedural manuals. Is able to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group format and large group format.
Is computer literate, Internet savvy, and experienced with MS Office, Google Calendar, Gmail, and Altru database preferred. Accuracy and attention to detail are essential.
Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
Ability to act on own initiative, making consistently sound decisions. Must be able to comply with institutional policies and procedures. Perform successfully when juggling and re-prioritizing multiple assignments in a fast-paced, changing work environment. Is able to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Reliable follow-through on assigned projects in a complete, well conceived, and timely manner.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls. The employee frequently is required to talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, sit, reach with hands and arms, climb or balance, and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those the employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
The Development Assistant position is a fixed 2-year term, full-time position. Please note, however, that this is an at-will position, meaning that your employment may be terminated at any time, with or without notice, and with or without cause. There is, in other words, no guarantee that you be employed until any date in the future, including through June 30, 2023.
Reports To: Development Services Manager
Positions Supervised: None