Discover Nikkei Junior Software Engineer
The Discover Nikkei Junior Software Engineer will be assisting with the technical elements for a project to redesign and expand the features, functionality, usability, and user engagement of JANM’s existing community-based, multilingual DiscoverNikkei.org site. The site is built using the Django framework on AWS. The Discover Nikkei Junior Software Engineer will assist with the implementation and launch of the expanded site, including working with team members and web design consultants on updated site design which will include responsive design layouts, writing new code needed for the expansion, assisting with alpha and beta testing efforts, and launch. In addition, they will be responsible for some ongoing minor updates and maintenance of the existing site features and content.
Most of this work will be done remotely, although on-site work or meetings may be required on occasion. This is a full-time, temporary position with set weekly hours, with some flexibility in scheduling. September 2022 through January 2025.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Improve existing pages and features, such as the home page, user profile pages, events section, and Nikkei Album; and develop new Django apps that encourage active participation on multiple levels, including passive reactions (i.e. “likes”); more direct and easier sharing of images, video, links, and other types of content; a Nikkei organizations directory; etc.
- Add new features that will increase communication through the site, including private user to user messaging, in-site and auto-email notifications (with opt-in/out), and community policing.
- Improve access to content of interest for users in all site languages (English, Japanese, Spanish, Portuguese). This includes tag-based, filtered search results, and content feeds across the site.
- Implement a new site design, responsive layouts, and architecture. This includes leveraging consistent styles and behaviors across the site for language, tags, search/filters, and forms.
- Assist with upgrade of AWS infrastructure as needed. This includes working on fixing issues, testing prior to deployment to live site, and adding/managing tasks based on bug reports from various staff and volunteer testers.
- Build custom tools (Python, shell scripts) to assist in data clean-up to prepare for new features.
- Assist with keeping web content current.
- Provide data processing services, such as metrics data for monthly reports either manually or using custom scripts.
- Maintain detailed system documentation.
- Staff members must be able to work with visitors of all ages to support the various events sponsored by JANM. Each staff member will be expected to work on a minimum of three museum-wide events per year:
- Benefit and Online Auction—(off-site) typically held in the Spring (April-May)
- Oshogatsu Family Festival (January)
- Natsumatsuri Family Festival (August)
This list is not exhaustive and may be supplemented as necessary. Incumbent will perform related duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions outlined above.
Bachelor’s degree preferred, or an equivalent combination of education and experience, in Computer Science or related field.
At least 1 year of experience working with the development of dynamic web applications. Willingness to learn and apply new skills. Ability to multi-task and prioritize is essential. Ability to work well under pressure to meet deadlines. Excellent organizational skills and be detail oriented. Strong proofreading skills. Ability to work in a fast-paced team environment, be a self-starter. Professional phone manner. Demonstrate commitment and flexibility at all times in order to ensure high quality service. Knowledge of Japanese American/Nikkei history and culture as well as the knowledge of Japanese, Spanish, and/or Portuguese a plus.
Excellent communication and negotiation skills. Must be able to provide courteous and effective service to co-workers, volunteers, and the general public. Ability to use internet-based tools to enhance collaboration with team members and website users. Ability to read and comprehend documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group format.
Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
Ability to act on own initiative, making consistently sound decisions. Must be able to comply with institutional policies and procedures. Perform successfully when juggling and re-prioritizing multiple assignments in a fast-paced, changing work environment. Is able to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Reliable follow-through on assigned projects in a complete, well conceived and timely manner.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls. The employee frequently is required to talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, sit, reach with hands and arms, climb or balance, and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those the employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Employees working on site are required to be fully vaccinated and boosted for COVID-19 when eligible.
The Discover Nikkei Junior Web Engineer is a full-time, temporary position funded through January 2025. Please note, however, that this is an at-will position, meaning that your employment may be terminated at any time, with or without notice, and with or without cause. There is, in other words, no guarantee that you be employed until any date in the future, including through January 31, 2025.
Reports To: Discover Nikkei Project Manager
Positions Supervised: None