Discover Nikkei Software Engineer
The Discover Nikkei Software Engineer will be leading the technical elements for a project to redesign and expand the features, functionality, usability, and user engagement of JANM’s existing community-based, multilingual DiscoverNikkei.org site. The site is built using the Django framework on AWS. The Discover Nikkei Software Engineer will be responsible for project managing the implementation and launch of the expanded site, including working with team members and web design consultants on updated site design which will include responsive design layouts, writing the majority of new code needed for the expansion, coordinating technical efforts of a small team of staff and volunteers, leading alpha and beta testing efforts, and launch.
Most of this work will be done remotely, although on-site work or meetings may be required on occasion. This is a full-time, temporary position with set weekly hours, but hours are flexible. May 2022 through January 2024. Candidate can work outside Los Angeles area, but must reside in United States.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Work with project team and consultants to develop realistic project plan, timeline, and design for expanded site. This includes overall planning of web infrastructure and website architecture for the Discover Nikkei project.
- Work with project team and lead web development volunteer to implement a more stable, efficient, intuitive, and consistent way to organize and deploy language across the site for interfaces, content (in up to 4 languages), translations (including auto-translation options), sorting, and search. This includes presenting content options based on language interface.
- Work with team to install all upgrades as needed, including instances of Elastic Beanstalk, Django, Python, and other tools and applications used. This includes coordinating fixing issues and testing prior to deployment to live site.
- Research and install a modern CMS for site administration, especially for content editing.
- Work with project team and volunteers to improve existing pages and features, especially the home page, user profile pages, Events section, and Nikkei Album; and develop new features/functionality which will encourage active participation on multiple levels, including passive “likes” to more direct and easier sharing of images, video, links, and other types of content.
- Increase communication through the site, including adding a feature that enables private user to user messaging, auto-email notifications (with opt-in/out), and community policing.
- Work with project team and consultants to implement a new site design, including responsive design layouts.
- Improve access to content of interest for users in all site languages (English, Japanese, Spanish, Portuguese). This includes improved search results and content feeds both within specific sections and site-wide.
- Maintain detailed system documentation.
- Staff members must be able to work with visitors of all ages to support the various events sponsored by JANM. Each staff member will be expected to work on a minimum of three museum-wide events per year:
- Gala and Silent Auction—(off-site) typically held in the Spring (April-May)
- Oshogatsu Family Festival (January)
- Natsumatsuri Family Festival (August)
This list is not exhaustive and may be supplemented as necessary. Incumbent will perform related duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions outlined above.
Bachelor’s degree preferred, or an equivalent combination of education and experience, in Computer Science or related field.
At least 3 years of experience working with the development of dynamic web applications. Willingness to learn and apply new skills. Ability to multi-task and prioritize is essential. Ability to work well under pressure to meet deadlines. Excellent organizational skills and be detail oriented. Strong proofreading skills. Ability to work in a fast-paced team environment, be a self-starter. Professional phone manner. Demonstrate commitment and flexibility at all times in order to ensure high quality service. Knowledge of Japanese American/Nikkei history and culture as well as the knowledge of Japanese, Spanish, and/or Portuguese a plus.
Excellent communication and negotiation skills. Must be able to provide courteous and effective service to co-workers, volunteers, and the general public. Ability to use internet-based tools to enhance collaboration with team members and website users. Ability to read and comprehend documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group format.
The following skills are considered useful and preferred: understanding of internationalization (i18n) and localization, especially Japanese; online video formats; social media integration; search engine optimization. Experience with Google Suite, MS Office, Google Calendar, Gmail, Slack, and Asana preferred.
Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
Ability to act on own initiative, making consistently sound decisions. Must be able to comply with institutional policies and procedures. Perform successfully when juggling and re-prioritizing multiple assignments in a fast-paced, changing work environment. Is able to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Reliable follow-through on assigned projects in a complete, well conceived and timely manner.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls. The employee frequently is required to talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, sit, reach with hands and arms, climb or balance, and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those the employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
The Discover Nikkei Senior Web Engineer is a full-time, temporary position funded through January 2024. Please note, however, that this is an at-will position, meaning that your employment may be terminated at any time, with or without notice, and with or without cause. There is, in other words, no guarantee that you be employed until any date in the future, including January 31, 2024.
Reports To: Vicky Murakami-Tsuda, Communications Production Manager
Positions Supervised: Discover Nikkei Web Development staff and volunteers