Store Associate, Part-Time
Museum Store Associates are responsible for promoting sales, processing sales and orders, and providing customer service. Position is scheduled for between 15–23 hours per week. One weekend day is required but weekday schedule is flexible with advance notice.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- On-Site sales: promote sales, answer questions, ring up sales using point-of-sales system. Provide customer service and relay special customer and vendor issues to the Store Manager or Retail Director as appropriate. Assure that store merchandise is attractively displayed and well stocked. Assure that the store appearance is neat and orderly. This includes maintaining supplies, dusting and sweeping, and alerting Manager or Director when supplies are needed. Reconcile cash drawer at the end of the day. Due to COVID-19 pandemic, staff will limit in-person contact with customers and adhere to a minimum of 6 feet distancing for not more than 10 minutes with each guest when possible. Utilization of clear barrier/partition at cash register and face masks are required. Upon approval by local government health officer orders, assist with Onsite Pick-up, by appointment only with contactless payment. Duties may be modified as needed to ensure compliance with local government health orders.
- Mail and Web Order sales: Answer and process phone, mail, and web site orders. Pull, pack, and ship orders. Update customer databases when necessary.
- Assist in the Receipt of New Merchandise: Unpack, receive (compare invoices to purchase orders) and prepare merchandise for display and sale in the Store.
- Promote memberships, gift certificate sales and other special Development sales: Handle membership applications. For other donations, introduce customer to appropriate Development staff person.
- Public Programs & Special Events: As requested, assist with sales at programs events, such as member receptions, book signings, special Museum events, etc. when safe to do so. Large gatherings will not be held due to COVID-19 pandemic until authorized by local government health officer order.
- Office Administration: Light office duties; data entry, making copies, filing, typing, etc.
- Reconciles cash drawer and empties donation boxes at the close of business. Requires a criminal background and credit check.
- Other duties:
- Participate in annual inventory.
- Store staff is required to be available for Black Friday weekend
- Be familiar with virtual content available and current exhibitions and programs at the Museum.
- Interact with and motivate volunteers.
- Staff members must be able to work with visitors of all ages to support the various events sponsored by JANM. Each staff member will be expected to work on a minimum of three museum-wide events per year:
- JANM’s Gala Dinner & Silent Auction—(off-site) typically held in the Spring (April-May)
- JANM’s Family Festival Day—Oshogatsu Festival (January)
- JANM’s Family Festival Day—Natsumatsuri Festival (August)
- Member events or exhibition receptions/openings
This list is not exhaustive and may be supplemented as necessary. Incumbent will perform related duties as assigned.
The Store Associate is a regular, part-time position. Please note, however, that this is an at-will position, meaning that your employment may be terminated at any time, with or without notice, and with or without cause. There is, in other words, no guarantee that you be employed until any date in the future.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions outlined above.
High School Diploma, Bachelors degree preferred; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
At least six months of customer service experience in a retail environment. Telephone skills for taking customer catalog phone orders and answering general inquiries. Professional phone manner is essential. Adept with handling cash and processing sales. Ability to handle and pack merchandise (some heavy lifting may be required). Prior non-profit experience and working with volunteers beneficial. Willingness to learn and apply new skills. Ability to multi-task and prioritize. Ability to work well under pressure to meet deadlines. Excellent organizational skills and be detail oriented. Strong proofreading skills. Ability to work in a fast paced team-environment, be a self-starter. Demonstrate commitment and flexibility at all times in order to ensure high quality service. Ability to adjust and provide appropriate action when unanticipated need arises. Knowledge of Japanese American history and culture a plus. Weekend and some evening hours required.
Strong customer service skills in person, over the phone, and via email. Has excellent communication and negotiation skills. Is able to read, write and comprehend routine reports and correspondence, including safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions and procedure manuals. Is able to effectively present information in one-on-one, small group format. Must be able to provide courteous and effective service to co-workers, volunteers and the general public.
Computer literate, Internet savvy, and experience with MS Word, Excel, and Power Point preferred, speed, accuracy and attention to detail are essential. Knowledge of Retail Star POS, Altru database, Gmail and Shopify POS and online preferred.
Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
Ability to act on own initiative, making consistently sound decisions. Must be able to comply with institutional policies and procedures. Perform successfully when juggling and re-prioritizing multiple assignments in a fast-paced, changing work environment. Is able to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Reliable follow-through on assigned projects in a complete, well conceived and timely manner.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls. The employee frequently is required to talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, sit, reach with hands and arms, climb or balance, and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 30 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those the employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Reports To: Store Operations Manager, Jennifer Chavez-Fucik and/or Director of Retail Enterprises, Maria Kwong
Positions Supervised: None