Active Volunteer Requirements
- We require all Japanese American National Museum volunteers to be Museum members. Please make certain that your National Museum membership be current to assure your continued eligibility as a Museum volunteer.
- If you have not yet done so, we ask that all Museum volunteers strive to complete the required National Museum Courses 101, 102, 103, 130, and 131. These sessions cover Museum foundations and policies, as well as provide a general overview of Japanese American immigration and history.
- Museum Courses 101, 102, 103, 130, and 131 are offered at least once every three months. Please make it a priority to attend at your earliest possible convenience. Upcoming training dates can be determined by calling the Volunteer Services Office.
- Continuing Education and Training are a vital part of volunteer development and growth. Additional training may be required for the volunteer in areas of specialization such as the Docent Program, National Resource Center and other Museum Departments. Required training for Docents and other volunteer programs will be communicated as scheduled.
- All Museum volunteers are requested to maintain an “Active Volunteer” status. An “Active Volunteer” is classified as one who commits to work an average of six (6) hours every month. The “Active Volunteer” status will be reviewed by the Volunteer Services office every six months.
- We understand that there may be extenuating circumstances (health, family care or emergencies) that may interrupt your service to the Museum. We simply ask that you inform the Volunteer Services Office of your situation and the anticipated time you will be absent from the Museum.
- To assure that your “Active Volunteer” status remains up-to-date, please make every effort to record your volunteer hours in the Museum Sign-In/Sign-Out Logbook. Neglecting to record your hours will result in an incorrect documentation of your participation in the Volunteer Services Program and may jeopardize your “Active Volunteer” standing.
- For those serving off-campus at External Relations events and providing unit support from home, please maintain a record of your volunteer hours with the event coordinator or use an “Off Campus Time Sheet.” Please submit your time sheet on a monthly basis to the Volunteer Services office.
- Volunteers will retain their key card and underground parking privileges as long as their standing as an “Active Volunteer” remains current.
- Volunteers will retain their Museum Store discount privileges as long as their standing as an “Active Volunteer” remains current.
- Should there be an interruption in volunteer commitment, reinstatement to “Active Volunteer” standing will be made after a demonstrated commitment is shown to work an average of six (6) hours per month. “Active Volunteer” standing will be restored together with the aforementioned privileges after a brief reorientation period.
Effective Date: February 10, 2000