Welcome to Empathy & Democracy, a unique live podcast and pop-up art series by the Democracy Center and Gratitude Blooming that is guided by the changing seasons. Join us as we kick off the lunar new year with our third episode, “Holding Space for Space Holders,” which delves into the essence of holding space—creating environments that nurture growth and introspection.
Our guest speaker Angela Oh, a civil rights attorney and ordained Zen Priest says, “Perhaps a meditation practice begins with a nourishing meal and a safe place to rest.” That’s how we will begin this conversation on empathy and democracy. With tea and curated savory and sweet snacks, we will hold a circle to reflect, explore our fears and hopes for democracy, and ask, “How do we want to be and live together?”
This episode will be recorded and space is limited to 35 people.
- Alex Dorsey: Leadership Facilitator, Executive Coach, and Founder of Urban Collaboratives
- Angela Oh: Civil Rights Attorney, Zen Priest, and Co-Founder of Go Compassion
Gratitude Blooming Co-Hosts:
- Omar Brownson: Co-host of Gratitude Blooming Podcast, Executive Director of LA Community Garden Council and self-described “everyday creative”
- Belinda Liu: Nature-inspired Visionary, Land Steward of Hestia Retreat Center, and Co-founder of Gratitude Blooming
- Arlene Kim Suda: Artist and Co-founder of Gratitude Blooming
Hosted by James E. Herr, director of the Democracy Center
The Plant is Present
By Omar Brownson
Here we are
Lost in the wild
Of climate and inequality
Trying to reconnect
To our humanity
Maybe in the flower petal
We can see our hearts
Maybe in the pollen
We can smell our soul
In voting booths
Growing out of composted
Checking the box
To our humanity
Tickets available now for the four-part series:
- Part 1: Saturday, July 15, 2023
- Part 2: Saturday, October 21, 2023
- Part 3: Saturday, February 10, 2024
- Part 4: Saturday, May 4, 2024
Empathy & Democracy is presented by the Democracy Center in collaboration with the Gratitude Blooming Podcast.
The Democracy Center is committed to expanding conversations that stretch our imagination and understanding of what it means to be part of a democracy. This series presents a unique perspective from which to examine our individual and collective roles in preserving and protecting our democracy.
- The Live Conversation will begin at 4:15 p.m.
All tickets include Gratitude Blooming’s Garden of Healing Notecard Collection. These deluxe notecards feature a prompt and artwork to inspire personal reflection and group connection.