Thanks to the support of nearly 60,000 members and donors, the Japanese American National Museum has built a world-class institution, accredited by the American Association of Museums and an affiliate of the Smithsonian Institution. Our members represent many different ethnic backgrounds and come from every state in America and 17 countries around the world.
Membership in the museum not only offers numerous benefits (including 10% off JANM Store purchases!), but also supports our mission to promote understanding and appreciation of America’s ethnic and cultural diversity by sharing the experiences of Japanese Americans.
We invite you to become a new member, renew your membership, or share JANM with a friend or loved one by giving a gift membership today!
(See below for membership levels.)
Contact the JANM Membership Department at firstname.lastname@example.org or 213.830.5646 or reach a staff member directly:
Membership and Individual Giving Manager
JANM Membership Levels
See below for a listing of membership benefits by level.
General Membership Benefits
(valid for one year, renewable annually)
- Unlimited admission to the museum
- Free or reduced price admission to public programs, workshops, and conferences
- Invitations to Members’ Only exhibition openings and other events
- Members-only mailings including a subscription to inspire magazine and Calendar of Events
- Museum e-newsletter subscription
- 10% discount at the JANM Store and janmstore.com and 20% discount on Member Appreciation Days (some exceptions may apply)
- Special members-only discounts at participating businesses
- Complimentary access to the Hirasaki National Resource Center and member discounts on certain services
- Opportunity to join the museum’s Volunteer Program
Membership Levels Comparison
Individual Membership ($50)
General benefits for one adult.
Senior Membership ($30)
General benefits for one senior. Must be 62 years or older.
Student Membership ($30)
General benefits for one full-time student enrolled at an accredited high school, college, or university. A copy of a valid student I.D. must be submitted with membership payment.
Three convenient options to submit a copy of your student I.D.:
Japanese American National Museum
100 N. Central Avenue
Los Angeles, CA 90012
Family/Dual Membership ($75)
General benefits for two adults at the same address and three children or grandchildren (under 18 years) plus children’s membership cards.
Contributing Membership ($150)
All the benefits of Family/Dual plus:
- Membership for two in reciprocal membership programs—the North American Reciprocal Museum Program (NARM), Reciprocal Organization of Associated Museums (ROAM), and the Western Reciprocal Membership Program—which provide admission and member discounts at more than 900 museums.
Supporting Membership ($300)
All the benefits of Contributing plus:
- Admission for two guests when accompanied by the member(s)
- Private Member Tour of the JANM’s core exhibition, Common Ground: The Heart of Community, for four, by appointment
- 10% discount on JANM facilities rentals
Sustaining Membership ($600)
All the benefits of Supporting plus:
- Invitations for two to one Upper Level Members event
- Admission for four guests when accompanied by the member(s)
Director’s Circle Membership ($1,000–$4,999)
All the benefits of Sustaining plus:
- Complimentary Smithsonian Museum membership and subscription to Smithsonian magazine or Air & Space magazine
- Invitations for two to Upper Level Members events which include exhibition previews, lectures, educational programs, and insider tours of museums, collections, homes, and gardens
- Recognition as a Director’s Circle Member
Director’s Circle Membership ranges from $1,000–$4,999. Please contact email@example.com for amounts over $1,000.
President’s Circle Membership ($5,000–$9,999)
All the benefits of Director’s Circle plus:
- Private use of the Yuki Board Room for a business meeting or an intimate family gathering (excluding catering, A/V, security, and party rentals)
- Behind-the-scenes Collections Tour of the Museum for six, including areas not accessible to the public, by appointment
- Special recognition in the annual Gala Dinner Journal
- Recognition as a President’s Circle member
President’s Circle Membership ranges from $5,000–$9,999. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for amounts over $5,000.
Chairman’s Circle Membership ($10,000+)
All the benefits of President’s Circle plus:
- Private use of one of the Pavilion’s meeting spaces for a business meeting or family gathering with the opportunity to have a director or curator speak to your guests (excluding food, beverages, and party rentals)
- Recognition as a Chairman’s Circle member
Chairman’s Circle Membership starts from $10,000. Please contact email@example.com for amounts over $10,000.