related resources on discover nikkei
what does hapa mean to others?
Read “kip fulbeck: part asian, 100% hapa—an artist’s thoughts” by Kip Fulbeck to find out about his views on the exhibition and its impact.
More articles about being Hapa:
- Articles by Leah Nanako Winkler
- “Growing Up Japanese in the South” by Danielle Arikawa
- “Dreaming in Japanese” by Julia Hibarger
- “Little Momo in the Big Apple” column series by Simone Fujita
- “On Being Japanese American” by Curtiss Rooks
- “half enough” series by Victoria Kraus
what are you?
The Hapa Collection
Visitors to the exhibition were invited to have a Polaroid photograph taken of themselves in the gallery to add their images and personal responses to the question of “What are you?” A selection of these responses have been added to the Nikkei Album. Additional responses were submitted and became part of the kip fulbeck: part asian, 100% hapa exhibition online.
DiscoverNikkei.org is an award-winning Web project of the Japanese American National Museum that provides an interactive global space for personal and community stories.